Hamburg University of Applied Sciences awards scholarships to academically strong international students studying in Bachelors and Masters degree programmes. The good news is that the City of Hamburg subsidises degree programmes at Hamburg universities, so the school does not charge tuition fees for national and international students except professional Master’s programmes.
Aim and Benefits of Undergraduate Scholarship
- Undergraduate: Up to 400 Euros/month (4 months per semester).
- An application for a further semester is possible.
Requirements for Undergraduate Scholarship Qualification
- Candidates must be enrolled as students at the HAW Hamburg
- Candidates must have completed their school education outside of Germany or have graduated from a Studienkolleg
- Candidates must not be eligible for BAföG
- Students in design degree programmes cannot participate in this programme
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to apply for the scholarship:
- You are an international bachelor student at the HAW Hamburg.
- You have already completed at least two semesters at the HAW Hamburg with a grade total of “very good” or “good”.
- You have completed your school education abroad or have successfully graduated form a Studienkolleg.
- You are not eligible for a BAföG loan (Federal Training Assistance Act). If you fulfill the criteria for a BAföG loan you are not eligible for the scholarship even if you do not actually receive the funding.
- Students from the courses Illustration, Communication or Textile Design cannot apply for the scholarship.
Application after the first study year: Applicants from the engineering* courses may apply when their grade is better than 2,9 when they have passed all exams or with a grade better than 2,5 if up to two subjects are missing. Applicants from the non-engineering courses need to have passed all exams so far. Their average grade must be “very good” or “good”.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Undergraduate Scholarship
The scholarship is for one semester; an extension for a further two semesters is possible, if all the courses per semester are completed with a grade average of at least 2.5.
How to Apply
Please complete the application forms (Undergraduate or Masters) and submit it to the International Office of the HAW Hamburg. The scholarships are awarded by a commission of the HAW Hamburg.
For more details, visit HAW website.
March 30, 2022